To whit, here are some of my dorkiest picks that make runs easier or more comfortable:
- Headlamp. It’s ridiculous, I know, but my trusty (and cheap) headlamp comes in handy on my twice-weekly early-morning runs with my las mañanitas running group. A lot of my clothes and my Brooks Ghost have some reflective features, but nothing beats an actual light on your forehead to make sure drivers can see you at oh-dark-30 in the morning.
- Buff. I suspect Buff USA does not want the word “dorky” associated with its items, but I have yet to see someone look genuinely and truly good while wearing a Buff. And, yet, it’s one of my favorite items because it keeps my messy hair tucked away, covers my head in the heat/cold and can be used to wipe one’s sweaty face in summer or snotty nose in winter.
- Hydration vest/belt. My long-standing love for my
fanny packhigh-tech Nathan hydration belt has recently been replaced only by my love for my new Nathan Sports VaporAiress hydration vest. It lets me carry two liters of water, plus all of my must-have items. I thought the thing would be uncomfortable and heavy, but I quickly got used to wearing it and am always grateful to have ice water with me, especially on the trails.
- Road ID. Until just a couple of days ago, I had the cheapest ID band the company makes, which meant wearing it almost every day rather than risking heading out on a run without it. The band also has left an even dorkier tan line right above my already-dorky GPS watch tan line. I’ve since upgraded to the Road ID Slim 2, which is easier to put on and take off. All of their items are super affordable, durable and a great investment in your safety.
- Hats. I’m not suggesting all running hats are dorky, just that I choose to wear ones that happen to be the least bit attractive on my head. That said, my Skirt Sports wool hat may make me look like a Q-Tip, but it is toasty and I wouldn’t trade it for anything else for winter running.
While I didn’t follow the day’s theme, I’m still linking up for Tuesdays on the Run, the weekly link-up with hosts runner bloggers MCM Mama Runs, My No Guilt Life and Marcia’s Healthy Slice. I hope you go visit them.
What are your favorite dorky things that make running easier/better/more pleasant? Feel free to share your post if you’ve blogged about this topic before. (Click on “Continue Reading” to leave a comment.)