Unfortunately, those are three essential things that I have forgotten when packing a bag for a post-work run. #fail
Let’s just say that I once found myself shopping for socks at a local Sears and only finding “athletic socks” that made my feet sweat and stink. Blech.
In the spirit of helping you avoid a similar horrible fate, here’s a checklist of running necessities you should include in your workout or gym bag (think head and shoulders, knees and toes):
- Head: Hat, visor, headband, ponytail holder, bobby pins, and/or a brush or comb. Think, too, of headphones, sunglasses, a headlamp and ChapStick.
- Shoulders: Sports bra, shirt (singlet, tank, T-shirt or long-sleeve tech shirt), a jacket if you need it, gloves in the winter, plus hand warmers, running watch/GPS tracker, RoadID and heart-rate monitor. If you wear one, remember your hydration vest, hand-held bottle or water belt/luggage. You may want to bring your cell phone, so make sure it’s charged, or grab an external charger (don’t forget your cord!).
- Knees: Thinking above-the-knees here, technically. Wicking underwear, running shorts/skirt/tights/capris.
- Toes: Socks, running shoes, orthotic inserts, Band-Aids or any tape you may use between or under toes to avoid chaffing.
- Bonus: Deodorant and other toiletries if you plan to shower afterward, baby wipes, sunscreen, bug spray, dry shampoo, towel, clean clothes and a snack.
Feel free to add or remove things from the list, but do take a moment to make sure you have everything you need when packing your running or gym bag. Doing so will help ensure you have one less reason or excuse to skip a training day. And if you do end up forgetting, chalk it up as a rest day and try again after checking the list.
Running or race-day mishaps is the theme of today’s Tuesdays on the Run, the weekly link-up with hosts runner bloggers MCM Mama Runs, My No Guilt Life and Marcia’s Healthy Slice. Hope you spend a few minutes checking out all of the other bloggers’ posts and/or sharing your own.
Would you add to the list of necessities for a gym or workout bag? How do you make sure you have everything you need?